Middle School Counselor | Sacred Heart Schools - Sheridan Rd | CA
Academic Year 2019-2020
Sacred Heart Schools is seeking a Middle School Counselor, whose chief responsibility will be to work within the scope of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education to teach Science within a differentiated classroom. As a member of the Middle School Faculty, this position will act as an advisor as well.
Date Posted: 2/14/2019Date Accepting Applications Through: 5/31/2019Job Title: Middle School Counselor
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-sex elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries, including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-sex classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as the primary resource for administrators, faculty/staff, and parents in working with middle school students to create a positive learning environment and helping students develop a positive self-concept.
- Work closely with MS Division Head to address behavioral/emotional/social concerns/needs.
- Attend weekly meetings with MS Division Head
- Facilitate teacher consultations/education about social/emotional issues impacting learning
- Assist with crisis intervention, de-escalation and help process serious events
- Observe students of concern in the classroom, lunchroom and recess. Document and report back to teachers, administration, SST and/or parents w/ findings
- Collaborate with outside therapists/counselors/psychologists to coordinate student learning with clinical therapy work
- Provide 1-1 short-term solution focused counseling to students who drop in, request a check-in or have been referred by a teacher or administrator.
- Assist with the development of positive student behavior support systems and development of intervention strategies alongside Division Heads.
- Assist in consulting with the Division Heads about the development and alignment of the disciplinary policies and procedures throughout grades K-8. Counselor does not have a disciplinarian role – rather works to find the root cause and support interventions through a team approach.
- Participate as a member of the Student Services Team. Provide/conduct interventions to help improve student’s functioning. Observe students of concern in the classroom, lunchroom and playground. Document and report back to SST and/or parents w/ findings. Attend parent SST meetings.
- Support student health and wellness by working closely with the Nurse
- Support the implementation and use of the Development Designs Program in all Middle School advisories alongside Middle School Division Head
- Work as liaison to coordinate academic work when students are off site for specialized programs
- Collaborate with Curriculum Coordinator on Safe Environments Program content development and observation of classroom lessons.
- Consult with parents to discuss home and school behavior/emotional issues as needed
- Co-Lead SHS CARES Committee
- Planning and implementation of program
- Help coordinate bulletin boards and presentations to students
- Plan and facilitate the Mindfulness Program – Support teachers, administration and students with training and continual implementation of the program.
- Consult with the Director of Institutional Advancement to develop, plan and implement the Parent Education Program
- Help to plan and implement Bullying Awareness Week
- Provide resources and support for teaching bully awareness curriculum
- Facilitate the administration of a bullying survey, compile and share the results
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, current résumé, and three references through our website www.shschicago.org. Go to About Us, Career Opportunities and click on Middle School Counselor.
- Bachelor’s degree – required
- Master’s degree in counseling/psychology – preferred
- LCPC status preferred
- Experience in an educational setting
- Clinical experience
- Experience working with students with behavioral and emotional challenges
- Clear communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Comfortable with technology in a variety of settings
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, marital status or any other classification protected by law.
How to Apply: Please go to our website
Link to Full Description: http://shschicago.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a239ccf01msn