Middle School Learning Specialist | Convent of the Sacred Heart - Greenwich | CT
The Middle School Learning Specialist is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in a way that is in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. This philosophy includes providing children opportunities to develop spiritual, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills.
06/19/2019Date Accepting Applications Through:
Middle School Learning SpecialistFull or Part Time:
Sacred Heart Greenwich provides an empowering learning environment for girls and young women from kindergarten through twelfth grade to prepare them to become confident, intelligent and compassionate global leaders. The school offers a coed program for young children at the Barat Center for Early Childhood Education. Our students carry on the Sacred Heart tradition of academic excellence and development of the mind, body and spirit on our beautiful 110-acre campus in Greenwich, Connecticut.
We are currently seeking a full-time Middle School Learning Specialist for the 2019-2020 school year.Position
: Middle School Learning SpecialistReports to
: Head of Middle SchoolFLSA Status
: ExemptJob Summary:
The Middle School Learning Specialist is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in a way that is in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. This philosophy includes providing children opportunities to develop spiritual, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills. The Learning Specialist has the following responsibilities: Essential Functions:
Additional Key Tasks:
- Meet the needs of individual students in grades 5-8 through teaching four Learning Center classes and one partial year study-skills class.
- Educate and support the faculty regarding best practices for teaching and supporting all types of learners.
- Collaborate with the Middle School Head, the Middle School Academic Dean, the Middle School faculty and the Lower School and Upper School learning specialists to best serve students.
- Provide interim support to girls who have both diagnosed and undiagnosed learning differences.
- Work with small groups of students to strengthen academic skills.
- Attend Middle School grade-level meetings and help create and execute academic action plans.
- Work with the faculty to design and implement lesson plans to meet the needs of all students and their learning styles.
- Coordinate Sacred Heart’s standardized testing program, and work with the academic dean on analyzing and presenting standardized test results.
- Interpret educational evaluations and develop and write student accommodation/learning plans with long-term goals and specific objectives.
- Observe the learning needs of all Middle School students and make appropriate recommendations to parents and teachers.
- Collaborate with faculty members and have an active role in classrooms to differentiate teaching methods.
- Observe and evaluate individual students displaying academic or behavioral difficulties and assess their learning strengths and challenges.
- Maintain confidential student records and keep accurate documentation of sessions, meetings, and assessments.
- Maintain contact with parents, teachers, outside tutors or other support personnel to implement recommended learning accommodations, coordinate services and share progress.
- Keep teachers thoroughly informed of the students’ specific learning needs and how they can be addressed within the classroom.
- Help teachers integrate consistent study skills into their curricula.
- Interpret standardized test results and meet with parents to disseminate results.
- Keep and update files for girls with diagnosed learning differences.
- Keep and update extended time list and ensure that individual testing is up to date.
- Be a member of the Middle School community by serving as an advisor and attending various events.
- Network with learning specialists at other independent schools.
- Pursue professional development opportunities.
- Attend conferences and professional meetings in order to remain current with research and practice.
- • Participate in committee, department, and staff meetings as well as school-sponsored events that would benefit from your area of expertise.
- • Be involved in the school community at large.
- • Fulfill other Middle School administrative duties at the discretion of the Assistant Head of Middle School and Head of Middle School.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or a related field; graduate degree preferred. The ideal candidate will possess outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and will demonstrate optimism and joy about working with Middle School aged students. As members of the international network of Sacred Heart schools, we are committed to attracting and retaining faculty with a passion for teaching who demonstrate an active faith, practice a deep respect for intellectual values, promote social awareness, build community, and value personal growth and responsibility. We seek faculty who are committed to all-girl education and who will draw upon current research to maximize student learning. Sacred Heart Greenwich is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates who will enhance the diversity of our community.