Lower School Counselor | Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart | TX
The Lower School Licensed Professional Counselor works in conjunction with the Head and Dean of Students of the Lower School as a member of the educational team. She is available to meet with students individually, in small groups or during classroom guidance. Students may self-refer or the Head of Lower School, school nurse, teachers or parents may refer a student to the counselor. Each concern is addressed independently depending on the needs of the student. Parents are welcome to call the counselor or come in to discuss social, emotional, academic or parenting concerns.
04/16/2019Date Accepting Applications Through:
Lower School CounselorFull or Part Time:
Full TimeFull Position Description:
- Meet individually with students, teachers and parents on developing strategies for students in the areas of social adjustment, school achievement, motivation, emotional adjustment, and conflict resolution
- Meet individually with students with learning differences and/or those needing extra academic support and write, contribute to, and/or facilitate the execution of student action plans
- Lead advisory program and advisory committee in the Lower School
- Meet regularly, formally and informally, with the Head of Lower School
- Meet with faculty at grade level meetings and at other times to gather information needed in preparing recommendations for parents, teachers or professionals in the community who are working with students
- Observe students during class or recess to gather information needed to make recommendations to teachers, parents or others working with students.
- Provide information and referrals for families in need of counseling, evaluation or other appropriate resources outside the school when such direction is sought or seems appropriate
- Discuss evaluation summaries with parents and/or teachers and assist in the development of an intervention plan for particular students who may be having behavioral, emotional or academic difficulties in the classroom
- Meet with faculty and administration in developing and presenting preventive strategies for improved mental, emotional, and physical health
- Consult with teachers, parents and administration regarding alternative approaches to help all parties manage challenging situations
- Provide support for students in their relationships with peers, teachers, parents and others
- Attend Parent/Teacher conferences as requested by parents or teachers
- Provide support for students as they learn to better understand and accept responsibility for themselves and their actions
- Maintain collaborative communication with other professionals working with the students.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other school professionals and representatives of community resources. Meet monthly during the school year with other private school counselors in the HAISC group
- Provide support to other schools in times of crisis on their campus
- Be willing to work across school divisions as needed