Second Grade Teacher | Academy of the Sacred Heart - The Rosary | LA
The Academy of the Sacred Heart in New Orleans, founded in 1867, is an independent, Catholic, college-prep institution for girls offering 17 years of instruction for toddlers through twelfth grade. Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 24 Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States-Canada sponsored by the Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ).
Date Posted: June 11, 2019Date Accepting Applications Through: August 2, 2019Job Title: Second Grade TeacherFull or Part Time: Full Time
The Academy of the Sacred Heart is seeking a full-time Second Grade Teacher. The Second Grade Teacher as a Lower School faculty member is directly accountable to the Preschool & Lower School Division Head.
Full Position Description: The Academy of the Sacred Heart is seeking a full-time Second Grade Teacher. The Second Grade Teacher as a Lower School faculty member is directly accountable to the Preschool & Lower School Division Head. S(he) works with the Division Head, Dean of Students, students and parents to ensure that the spirit and the life of the school reflect the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart education. S(he):
- Understands, embraces and implements the school's mission and philosophy as written in the Goals and Criteria; participates in the Christ-centered life of the school; and models the school’s philosophy in working with students, parents, colleagues and administration.
- Works with the Division Head to execute responsibilities relating to the academic program: curriculum development and implementation, classroom management, student evaluation, grade reporting and parent communication, and to execute responsibilities as outlined by the Division Head/Dean of Students and Department Chairs, which contribute to smooth department functioning.
- Works with the Division Head to execute responsibilities relating to student life programs, student discipline and facility use.
- Works with the counselors to aid students in achieving the maximum development and growth, both within and beyond the classroom, achieved through observation of students' behavior and needs, consultation with the counselors and referrals, when indicated.
- Attends and participates in the following: chapels, liturgical functions, retreats, faculty/department/in-service meetings, assemblies, parent assemblies, conferences and other school functions, as requested.
- Maintains professional currency by yearly participation in the professional development program (which includes opportunities for attendance at conferences, workshops and educational meetings, and for advanced degree coursework) and by regular reading of educational journals and discipline-related materials.
- Works with the Division Head to secure substitutes in the event of illness or other emergencies.
- Agrees to fulfill the terms of the contract of employment.
- Certification in Elementary Education
- A master’s degree in Elementary Education
- At least two years of teaching experience in a Lower School classroom
- Experience with Lucy Calkins' Reading and Writing Workshops and Fountas and Pinnell’s Guided Reading approach
- Demonstrated ability with differentiating instruction in a heterogeneous classroom
- Well-versed in educational technology that will enhance instruction
The Academy of the Sacred Heart is an equal opportunity employer. The goal of the Academy of the Sacred Heart is to hire and motivate an outstanding and diverse faculty and staff who work together harmoniously toward the common mission.
How to Apply: Applicants should complete the Online Employee Inquiry Form at ashrosary.org/careers. Applicants will be prompted to upload the following: 1. Cover letter indicating why they are particularly interested in and qualified for the position. 2. Current résumé. 3. Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references from current and/or former director supervisors. (We will obtain permission from candidates before contacting references.) 4. During the application process, you may be asked to complete the ASH Employment Application PDF, which is available for download at ashrosary.org/careers.https://www.ashrosary.org/page.cfm?p=515
Link to Full Description: https://www.ashrosary.org/uploaded/About_Pics/We're_Hiring/2019-2020_Job_Postings/Second_Grade_Teacher_6.7.19.pdf