NS - Sacred Heart School of Halifax | Elementary School Principal
We are currently seeking an experienced and committed educator with a proven record of excellence in teaching and learning to lead the Elementary School forward according to the Sacred Heart vision of education as embodied in the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria.
Date Posted: 10/13/2021
Date Accepting Applications Through: 11/03/2021
Job Title: Elementary School Principal
Full or Part Time: Full Time
The next Principal of our Elementary School will be energetic and committed to leading a strong team of teachers who are committed to helping young students learn and grow. Recognizing the impact and influence the Principal can have, this person will relate well to teachers, children from four to eleven years of age, and parents. The Principal will have a track record of earning respect and trust, and must possess experience and competency in six critical areas:
- Academic Leader The successful candidate will have an advanced degree in education, experience in the classroom, and a depth of understanding in curriculum development and pedagogy. The Principal understands the challenges and opportunities of 21st-century learning and skill development, including technology, design-thinking, and engaging co-curricular programs. The Principal has a demonstrated ability to lead academic programs that optimize learning outcomes and student experience and is a mentor and role model for teachers. The Principal has a demonstrated ability and interest in sharing knowledge and ensuring the professional development of teachers. Teachers will look to the Principal for advice and will seek a trusted colleague, a good listener, and a leader to guide growth and encourage colleagues to stretch. The Principal understands and believes in the advantages of independent schools.
- Passion and Compassion Passion and compassion are two words that students, teachers, and parents will use to describe the new Principal’s engagement and strengths. This person will be committed to leading the growth of students and adults by educating to a personal and active faith in God, a deep respect for intellectual values, social awareness that impels to action, the building of community, and educating to personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom. Through words and actions, the Principal will demonstrate alignment with the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria. The Principal will be comfortable as the spiritual leader of our independent, Catholic, Sacred Heart school, and will respect and appreciate the diversity of thought, culture, and religion that exists at SHSH. The Principal will honour the various cultures represented in the student body, and create context for our students to teach, learn, and grow from one another. And, the Principal will strengthen relationships throughout our JP-12 community and promote a shared understanding of the spirit and unity of Sacred Heart schools in our world.
- Vision and Innovation The Principal will appreciate the School's history and honour our tradition of encouraging a growth mindset, courageous in preparing students for tomorrow by fostering creative new ideas and ways of doing things. The Principal will formulate and articulate an educational vision for our Elementary School and take good risks to translate vision into strategies and actions to promote our Goals and Criteria in our local and global context.
- Leader and Manager The Principal will have demonstrated educational leadership and management of people, programs, and budgets. Understanding the complexities of school settings, the Principal establishes sound management and nurtures a culture in which people want to do their best. Adhering to standards, policies, and procedures for human resources ensures that SHSH attracts, develops, and retains quality faculty and staff to meet the School’s requirements and mission. As a senior member of the Leadership Team, the Principal participates in the process of reviewing and updating the School’s standards, policies, and procedures, and clearly articulates expectations, assigns responsibility appropriately, is accountable, and holds others accountable. The Principal offers support, guidance, and direction effectively, and counts on this in their own life. Our new Principal will engage and empower others, share and celebrate success, invite and encourage input, and seek, accept, and offer feedback.
- Team Player Our new Principal will bring people together — effectively communicating and building strong relationships — primarily but not exclusively with the faculty, students, and parents of the Elementary School. The Principal will be proud of the faculty and students and celebrate their accomplishments. Teachers and students must appreciate and value one another so together we can continue to build the unique spirit that makes Sacred Heart School of Halifax so special. To advance our mission, the Principal will find ways to connect the Elementary community with the Religious of the Sacred Heart, alums, current and past parents, our extended Sacred Heart Network, and members of the local community.
Integrity St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, the founder of Society of the Sacred Heart, said: "Your example, even more than your words, will be an eloquent lesson to the world." The next Principal of our Elementary School will make this their standard. Verax tum Audax is our School motto; it is translated Dare to be True and will be a compass for our Elementary School Principal.How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and a list of three references with contact information to: Patricia Nichols, Executive Assistant to the Head of School careers[@]shsh.ca
Sacred Heart School of Halifax 5820 Spring Garden Road Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 1X8 Canada
Link to Full Description: https://bit.ly/3ji6iuz