Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart | Bethesda, MD | Middle School English Teacher
Stone Ridge is seeking a Middle School English Teacher to begin work in August 2022.
Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart, a member of the international Network of Sacred Heart Schools, is a Catholic, independent college preparatory school for girls, Grades 1-12, with a co-educational Early Childhood Program, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten in Bethesda, Maryland. With over 700 students, and rooted in the Goals of Sacred Heart education, Stone Ridge inspires young women to lead and serve, through lives of purpose that integrate faith, intellect, community, social action, and personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
: 2/9/2022Job Title
: Middle School English TeacherFull or Part Time
: Full Time
The Middle School Dean of Students is responsible for designing a standards-based curriculum for middle-grade students in alignment with the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education.The Middle School English Teacher will guide students to:
Working closely with departmental and grade-level colleagues, the successful English teacher will:
- Acquire developmentally appropriate skill and confidence in analytical and persuasive writing;
- Become adept at literary analysis;
- Practice and acquire reading-comprehension and critical-reading strategies;
- Acquire a sound foundational knowledge of grammatical mechanics and syntax;
- Broaden their written and spoken vocabulary;
- Develop research skills;
- Embrace a love of literature while honing critical thinking skills; and
- Develop life-long learning habits.
The desired candidate:
- design and update lesson plans for content, skill-building, and continuity of curriculum.
- embrace experiential, interdisciplinary and inquiry-based learning approaches
- actively collaborate with Learning Strategists, Educational Technologists, and with the Middle School Counselor to develop strategies to support all students.
- attend all faculty and employee meetings; and in-house professional development sessions
- serve as a student advisor
- maintain good communication with families about student progress through regular progress reports, report cards, and responses to parents’ inquiries.
- has a bachelor’s degree in education or a related field; master’s degree is preferred
- has teaching experience in the field of English (or a related field) and/or Education and demonstrated expertise in pedagogy and instruction.
- familiarity with or experience teaching in the model of Understanding by Design, the School’s chosen pedagogical model.
- has expert knowledge of the elements of literary analysis and writing mechanics.
- has comprehensive understanding of and dedication to student-centered pedagogy, writing instruction and discussion-based classrooms.
- has a demonstrated collaborative spirit, organizational skills and creativity.
- an authentic understanding of the mission and the School’s Catholic identity.
Early career candidates are encouraged to apply, especially those with an interest in developing the pedagogy, career and profession of education. Compensation includes competitive benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
Stone Ridge is looking for an educator who is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and who has experience or interest in teaching in independent, Catholic schools, public, or charter schools. Applicants of diverse, underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should complete the application online, www.stoneridgeschool.org/employment
. As part of the online application, please upload a resume, list of references, and cover letter addressed to Ms. Courtney Perna, Human Resources Manager, all in PDF format.
Stone Ridge requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (subject to legally required exemptions) as the best means of reducing the risk of transmission and providing our students and faculty/staff with the safest possible educational environment. Stone Ridges defines fully vaccinated in this context to include the booster. Vaccination not only works to protect the individual who is vaccinated, but also protects students who are not yet eligible and anyone at increased risk from COVID-19.How to Apply: https://www.stoneridgeschool.org/employment