Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart | Lake Forest, IL | High School Theology Teacher & Campus Minister
Woodlands Academy is seeking a full-time teacher for the 2022 - 2023 academic year to serve as a theology teacher and campus minister. The theology teacher is a committed educator who will challenge students to perform at their best, while promoting their spiritual growth. Dedication to the independent school setting is a must. Woodlands Academy believes that a multicultural perspective is an essential element of education and values diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 25 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada. Sacred Heart education at Woodlands Academy is distinctive and emphasizes best practices for the education of girls and innovative practices for academic excellence. Established in 1858, the school forms global citizens and transforms young women through a dynamic of relationships that responds to the dignity of each member of the school community.
The teacher will report to the Principal and will join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty.
- Maintaining Woodlands’ excellent theology program by instructing and coordinating 6 semester courses (3 per semester) at the college preparatory level
- Advising approximately 8 -10 girls (academic counseling, community building, parent communication, conferencing)
- Engaging in the life of the high school (presence at assemblies, meetings, events, etc.)
- Chaperoning/supervisory duties approximately three times a year
- Participating in school-wide, departmental, and mentor team meetings
- Writing college letters of recommendation for students when appropriate
- Coaching, not required, but a plus
- Understanding and upholding the values of a Sacred Heart education
- Developing and implementing lesson plans and assessment tools
- Willing to help plan and lead grade level retreats
- Leading students in Campus Ministry club
- Preparing prayer services and Catholic Masses, including creating worship aids
- Promoting the spiritual growth of members of our community and oversees the formal implementation of Goal I in the school
- Performing all other duties, as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the subject or related subject matter; Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 2 years’ experience teaching high school, preferably in a single-gender setting
- Extensive knowledge in all areas of theology and the ability to teach various courses including World Religions, Hebrew Scriptures, Christian Scriptures, Catholicism, Spirituality & Ministry, Social Justice, and Ethics
- Experience in executing school-wide prayer services and masses
- Sound understanding of current pedagogical theory and practice, and eagerness to continue learning
- The ability to develop and implement an effective and engaging curriculum; a highly competent teacher
- A knowledge of adolescent development and effective classroom practices for the single-gender high school classroom
- The ability to build positive relationships with high school students; a powerful student mentor
- The ability to draw people in for collaboration, curriculum development, and problem-solving; a trusted and sought-after colleague
- High-level of familiarity and competence across cultures and multiple perspectives
- Genuine understanding or willingness to learn/understand the culture, community and the demands students feel on a daily basis
- Differentiate classroom instruction for students with varied learning styles or specific learning challenges
- Familiarity and competence in technology skills; should be proficient with current educational technology and willing to develop more technological skills as needed
- Superb communication skills and excellent verbal/written skills to collaborate with Student Support Team, parents, students, and faculty.
- Possess strong people skills in order to be empathetic to the needs of students and parents
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the WA community
- Completion of Virtus: Protecting God’s Children training
- Successful completion of criminal and sexual offender registry background checks
Why you should join our community:
- Woodlands Academy offers generous health/dental/vision plans, group life and long-term disability, voluntary life, and voluntary short-term disability plans, 403(b) with 5% contribution of annual salary, and flexible spending accounts (benefits for full-time employees working 30+ hours per week only)
- Special holiday breaks, including five days off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas, and two weeks off for Spring Break
- Opportunities to volunteer
- Get to make an impact on the lives of young women
How to apply:
Please complete the application materials on our Employment page here. All applicants must apply with a cover letter, resume, and Personal Reflection on the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria. We also strongly suggest applicants to submit three written references.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an all-girls, Catholic, college preparatory day and boarding school in Lake Forest, IL. Visit the school’s website at www.woodlandsacademy.org and the website of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools at www.sacredheartusc.education to learn more.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion*, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification under state of federal law.
*The School reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions and nature of a school as a faith-based institution as permitted by law.