Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart provides a diverse and rigorous college preparatory environment that inspires young women to become confident, compassionate leaders. As a member of a global network of more than 150 schools, we educate to the core of our 200-year tradition through the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria: a personal and active faith in God, a deep respect for intellectual values, a social awareness that impels one to action, the building of community as a Christian value, and personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart educates young women to think critically, embrace challenges, model resilience, confront injustice, seek equality and lead globally in the pioneering spirit of our foundress. Our graduates change the world.
Forest Ridge seeks a talented, passionate and engaging High School Religious Studies Teacher to teach several high school religious studies courses and support the work of Campus ministry and/or community service.
Our religious studies curriculum is rooted in our three-part identity as a Catholic, Independent and Sacred Heart School. Our standards draw from the USCCB Curriculum Framework, principles of religious literacy and the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education. Our student body is religiously diverse and we strive to challenge all our students to grow in their understanding of religion and their spiritual convictions. In high school, our students encounter opportunities to analyze the role of many religions in the world today, to apply principles of Catholic Social Teaching across disciplines and to engage deeply with Catholic history, tradition, and spirituality.
We are looking for an educator who is passionate about teaching adolescent girls, who works well both independently and with a team and who employs a variety of teaching strategies to meet the diverse needs of our students. In addition, we are looking for faculty who are excited by the opportunity to build an integrated curriculum, working alongside members of various departments to build lessons, units and courses of study that unite concepts, topics, themes and skills often taught isolated from one another. Furthermore, Forest Ridge seeks faculty and staff whose philosophies align with our Sacred Heart mission and who enthusiastically believe in educating the mind, body and spirit of each student.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The High School Religious Studies teacher, reporting to the Director of High School, will join a collaborative department of colleagues to build a creative, engaging and student-centered learning environment, employing best practices for educating students in an inclusive setting. Specific responsibilities for this position include:
• Teach several sections of high school religious studies;
• Support Campus Ministry and/or community service work in the high school;
• Serve as a grade-level advisor;
• Provide support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, providing extra writing help, etc.) as needed;
• Actively collaborate with colleagues to design curriculum, assessment and instructional practices in alignment with best practices to create innovative and equitable learning experiences for all students;
• Update curriculum maps to ensure a realistic and updated scope and sequence of the content, skills and assessments of each course;
• Attend grade-level team and faculty meetings as scheduled;
• Participate in the life of the school community by attending school assemblies, divisional gatherings, school events, etc.;
• Attend and respectfully participate in communal prayer and other faith services.
A successful candidate for this position will meet the following requirements and qualifications:
• Is a practicing Catholic;
• Experience teaching high school religious studies courses;
• A personal understanding of and commitment to the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education;
• A commitment to working in a girl-centric environment, designed to support the development of competent, confident and courageous women ready to lead in a multi-cultural world;
• A bachelor’s degree in religious studies or a related field; master’s degree is preferred.
• Prior experience working with a diverse population of students and colleagues;
• A demonstrated commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy, including an understanding of themselves and the lenses they bring to interactions, as well as the differing perspectives of others.
• A commitment to teaching the whole child;
• An ability to work and communicate well with faculty, staff, students and parents;
• Fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding employees through competitive compensation.
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
: • Cover letter • Statement of Educational Philosophy • Updated CV/Resume • List of three professional references
Link to Full Description: https://www.forestridge.org/about/career-opportunities