Position: Upper School Spanish Teacher
Reports to: Upper School Division Head
FLSA: Exempt, full-time
World Language teachers at Sacred Heart are passionate educators who inspire students to reach their full potential. Our curriculum encompasses language proficiency, as well as cultural awareness, stressing the importance of precision to achieve fluency, and ultimately to become active, multilingual citizens of the 21st century.
- Teach four classes, from Spanish I to Advanced, standard and honors alike
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, consulting with them about their writing, and the like), as needed
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the World Languages Department on innovative curriculum development and assessment
- Attend department and faculty meetings
- Advise 8 to 10 Upper School students
- Participate actively in the life of the school community, which includes assuming at least one additional responsibility outside of the classroom. Other school duties as required as a member of the upper school community
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and schedules including remote learning
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in Spanish teaching or Spanish studies strongly preferred
- Previous teaching experience at the secondary level; preference will be given to candidates who can also teach French
- S/he will have a passion for the Spanish language and the Spanish-speaking world, as well as for interacting with high school-aged students, in and outside of the classroom
- Commitment to using innovative teaching practices and technology to enhance instruction
- Knowledge of, appreciation for, and demonstrated commitment to anti-racist, anti-bias education, multicultural teaching, and culturally responsive pedagogy
- Proficient with current educational technology, especially blended learning platforms and strategies.
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communications skills
- Positive team player with a desire to contribute and share your gifts and talents with the students and administration of the school
- Experience with Google and Smartboard platforms
It is the policy of Sacred Heart to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants. This means that all employees and applicants will be treated on an equal basis without regard to race, religion, color, gender, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, military status, Vietnam or other veteran status, sexual orientation, domestic partnership status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, unemployment status or any other status protected by law. In addition to the protected classifications included in our EEO policy, the School also prohibits any form of discrimination or harassment based on being a certified medical marijuana patient, arrest or conviction, or domestic violence victim status in accordance with state law. This policy applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, including but not limited to: hiring, training, faculty development, promotion, compensation, benefits, educational assistance, employee facilities, termination, and retirement. Any employee who engages in conduct that violates this policy is subject to discipline, up to and including termination.
APPLY HERE: https://cshnyc.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2v8ra130kqa/aabn