Position: Physical Education Teacher
Reports to: Head of Athletics and Wellness, Physical Education Department Chair
Date Posted: July 19, 2022
Start Date: August 25, 2022
The Physical Education Teacher primarily works in the 55,000 ft2 Athletics and Wellness Center located at 406 East 91st Street as a part of the school’s Physical Education Team. He/she has primary responsibilities for the instruction of a quality physical education program to serve the Sacred Heart students.
- Plan and instruct high-quality land-based physical education classes for PreK-12 students emphasizing safety, fun, and skill development.
- Supervise assistant teacher when teaching lower school land-based PE classes.
- Evaluate and assess student performance in physical education classes.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents about student progress.
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum design and program development.
- Participate actively in the school community, which includes coaching a minimum of two seasons with the Athletics department.
- Maintain good professional and collaborative relationships with colleagues.
- Commit to personal growth through active participation in professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Three years of relevant teaching experience, with a proven history across different age ranges
- CPR, AED, and First Aid, with instructor certification a plus
- A record of integrity and the ability to inspire students and athletes to perform at a high level
- Strong leadership, motivational, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and anti-racist, anti-bias education
- Computer literacy and technological proficiency
- Effective classroom management skills
- True passion for teaching
- Broad skill set of different physical education curriculum areas, including a combination of team sports, individual/dual sports, strength, and conditioning, dance/rhythm, and/or yoga.
- Experience playing and/or coaching a team sport at the high school level; playing and/or coaching at the college level preferred.
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification or similar qualification, or a willingness to complete this certification at some point with the goal to eventually assist with introductory water safety and aquatics lessons for children PreK – 4th grade.
- This position may require the ability to lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds occasionally.
It is the policy of Sacred Heart to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants. This means that all employees and applicants will be treated on an equal basis without regard to race, religion, color, gender, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, military status, Vietnam or other veteran status, sexual orientation, domestic partnership status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, unemployment status or any other status protected by law. In addition to the protected classifications included in our EEO policy, the School also prohibits any form of discrimination or harassment based on being a certified medical marijuana patient, arrest or conviction, or domestic violence victim status in accordance with state law. This policy applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, including but not limited to: hiring, training, faculty development, promotion, compensation, benefits, educational assistance, employee facilities, termination, and retirement. Any employee who engages in conduct that violates this policy is subject to discipline, up to and including termination.
Link to Apply: https://cshnyc.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2v8ra16ngzz/aab4