Upper School Honors and AP Biology Teacher-Sabbatical Leave Replacement | Convent of the Sacred Heart - Greenwich | CT
The Biology Teacher in Upper School is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in a way that is in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. This philosophy includes providing children opportunities to develop spiritual, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills.
Date Posted: 2/20/2019Date Accepting Applications Through: 04/30/2019Full or Part Time: Full Time
Sacred Heart Greenwich provides an empowering learning environment for girls and young women from kindergarten through twelfth grade to prepare them to become confident, intelligent and compassionate global leaders. The school offers a coed program for young children at the Barat Center for Early Childhood Education. Our 700 students carry on the Sacred Heart tradition of academic excellence and development of the mind, body and spirit on our beautiful 110-acre campus in Greenwich, Connecticut.
We are currently seeking a sabbatical leave replacement Upper School Honors and AP Biology teacher from late August 2019 through mid-January 2020.
Position: Upper School Honors and AP Biology Teacher-Sabbatical Leave Replacement
Reports to: Head of Upper School
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Biology Teacher in Upper School is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in a way that is in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. This philosophy includes providing children opportunities to develop spiritual, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills. The Biology Teacher has the following responsibilities:
- Teaching 3 sections of Biology Honors (11th grade)
- Teaching 1 section of Advanced Placement Biology (12th grade)
- Focusing the content of the Biology Honors course on experimental design, chemical bonding, organic molecules, cell structure, DNA replication, protein synthesis, cell division, and genetics.
- Focusing the content of the AP Biology course based on the College Board Curriculum Framework. The topics covered during the first semester can be rearranged based on the expertise of the instructor hired.
- Organizing and providing developmentally appropriate educational programs and instruction; planning and implementing curriculum and differentiated instruction for Upper School students
- Providing activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving appropriate to the developmental levels and learning styles of his/her students
- Planning and preparing supportive and caring classroom environment in which children can learn and interact positively with one another; overseeing instruction and authentic assessment; supervising children in the classroom
- Interacting with parents; maintaining open and cooperative communication with parents and families, encouraging their involvement
- Participate in regular Upper School and departmental meetings and perform various faculty supervisory duties
The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in Biology or related field, and experience teaching Honors and AP level Biology courses to Upper-School-aged students. Knowledge of the new AP Biology curriculum framework and exam is preferred.
As members of the international network of Sacred Heart schools, we are committed to attracting and retaining faculty with a passion for teaching who demonstrate an active faith, practice a deep respect for intellectual values, promote social awareness, build community, and value personal growth and responsibility. We seek faculty who are committed to all-girl education and who will draw upon current research to maximize student learning. Sacred Heart Greenwich is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates who will enhance the cultural diversity of our community.
To Apply: Interested candidates must complete the on-line application on our website: http://www.applitrack.com/cshgreenwich/onlineapp/