Princeton Academy Celebrates the Feast of Mater

Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart, Princeton, NJ
On Friday, October 19, Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart celebrated the Feast of Mater. Mater Admirabilis is the name given to the representation of Our Lady which you will find in a place of honor in every Sacred Heart school. 
On Friday, October 19, Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart celebrated the Feast of Mater. Mater Admirabilis is the name given to the representation of Our Lady which you will find in a place of honor in every Sacred Heart school. "Mater Admirabilis" is Latin, meaning "Mother Most Admirable." Princeton Academy's Mater Admirabilis is located in the William E. Simon Chapel Library and was designed by local artist Juanita Yoder. Ms. Yoder created the image using her panoramic style and painting with dye on five silk panels which represent our five Sacred Heart Goals.

Princeton Academy celebrated with a special Prayer Service planned and coordinated by Student Liturgy with the help of Director of Community Liturgy Lorna Cole Durish. Students, faculty and staff were given pink Spirit Wear shirts to honor the day as well as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Students were also treated to a special pink goûter: cookies with pink sprinkles.

Enjoy pictures from the Feast of Mater Prayer Service by clicking here.

A description of Mater Admirabilis from rscj.org: In 1828, Pope Leo XII invited the Society of the Sacred Heart to found a community and school at the Trinità dei Monti, a monastery at the top of the Spanish Steps in Rome. For 300 years, the monastery had housed a community of Minims, an order founded by St. Francis of Paola in the 15th century. The Order of Minims had abandoned the property during the French Revolution, and by 1828 the buildings were in need of repair. A contingent of RSCJ went to Rome to put the property in order under an agreement with the French government, which owned the property and specified that only French nuns would occupy the site.

Sixteen years after Religious of the Sacred Heart came to live at the Trinità, a young French girl, Pauline Perdrau, was admitted as a postulant to the Society. A talented artist, she asked permission of the superior of the house, Mother Josephine de Coriolis, to paint a portrait of Our Lady on a wall of a corridor that led to the sisters' cloister. However, Mother Coriolis was hesitant, because she knew the artist was unfamiliar with fresco painting techniques.

Pauline Perdrau persisted, praying to Mary for strength. She prevailed, and for months after receiving permission to begin, she devoted several hours a day to preparing the surface of the wall and painting her image of Mary.

When the painting was complete, the colors were thought to be too vivid. The fresco was covered with a protective cloth to give the paint time to dry. Days later, when the cloth was removed, the colors had softened to the shades of pink and blue and ivory that are so well known to visitors to Mater's shrine today. To Pauline Perdrau, who later became a Religious of the Sacred Heart, the change was nothing less than a miracle.

Among the many stories associated with Pauline Perdrau's painting of Our Lady is this one: In the fall of 1846, Pope Pius IX paid a visit to Trinità dei Monti and was overwhelmed by the beauty of the fresco of Mary. "Mater Admirabilis!" exclaimed the pope, giving the painting of Mary the title it bears to this day.

Today, a statue or painting of Mater Admirabilis can be found in every Sacred Heart school around the world. Her feast is marked with liturgical celebrations, alumnae gatherings and pink goûter on October 20.
Back
Schools of the Sacred Heart share in the educational mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart as articulated in the Goals and Criteria. The structure supporting Sacred Heart education in Canada and the United States includes the Conference of Sacred Heart Education and the Network of Sacred Heart Schools.  Together they provide services and programs to ensure vitality of mission for the member schools sponsored by the Society of the Sacred Heart.